Wappenshall Junction <<-- : -->> Britton Lock
Wappenshall Lock was filled in before 1969, and the skeletal remains of the lower gate moved to Ironbridge. The lock was rebuilt in 1844, and the lower gate had the fully modified type C design with a winch alongside the gate and the counterbalance descending into a pit alongside the gate. The remains of the lock were totally removed on construction of the storm drain weir in about 1976.
The site of Wappenshall Lock (No.9), 1976.
The same view, taken from Wappenshall Bridge in 1985.
Wappenshall from Britton Lock, 1976. The storm drain enters the canal line at this point.
Wappenshall Junction <<-- :
-->> Britton Lock
Shrewsbury Canal Index
The Shropshire Union
Canals of the West Midlands
Shrewsbury Canal - Wappenshall Lock
Copyright reserved by the author, Tony Clayton
v15 21st May 2015